Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Unplugged

This past weekend I participated in the National Day of Unplugging.  The National Day of Unplugging involves not using anything tech from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday.  No cell phone, no texting, no e-mail, no internet, no computer.  Think of yourself back in the 80s.  I consider myself someone who has boundaries around technology, and this seemed like a good idea but didn't think it would be so hard!
I did allow myself to use my cell phone, but only in any way I would have used a landline if I had one.  That means no phone calls outside my house.  No checking my text messages, or texting anyone else.  No checking e-mails.  No checking facebook.  None of it.
I found this harder than anticipated.  When the phone put out a text tone, I was programed to go pick it up.  I didn't check it though, until after sunset that day.  I was forced to find joy in the more simple things.  Reading books, long walks with the dog.  Those 24 hours seemed to last longer. 
The National Day of Unplugging was a wake-up call to just how plugged in I actually am.  From here forward I think I'll not check my phone so often for e-mail updates, etc.  They are usually junk e-mails anyway, especially on the weekend.  Spending more quality time with my books and my dog is completely worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment